Recent Water Damage Posts
Water Damage: What To Do Until Help Arrives
What to do Until Help Arrives
Experiencing a flood or water loss, whether at your home or place of business, can be very scary and stressful. Once the source has been stopped, you may not know what to do to move forward.
After any water loss situation, your first priority should be your safety. Is it safe to stay inside your house? If you do stay in the home, be sure to only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
Water Damage From Clean Water
- Shut off the source of water if possible or contact a qualified party to stop the water source.
- Turn off the circuit breakers for wet areas of the building, when access to the power distribution panel is safe from electrical shock.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removing lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions for even drying.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Remove to a safe, dry place any paintings, art objects, computers, documents and other materials that are valuable or sensitive to moisture.
- Use wooden clothespins to keep furniture skirting off damp floors.
- Hang draperies with coated hangers to avoid contact with wet carpeting or floors.
- Hang furs and leather goods to dry separately at room temperature.
- Don’t enter rooms with standing water where electrical shock hazards may exist.
- Don’t enter affected areas if electrical outlets, switches, circuit breakers or electrical equipment are exposed to water. Always avoid electrical shock hazards.
- Don’t leave books, newspapers, magazines or other colored items on wet carpets or floors to cause staining.
- Don’t leave Oriental rugs or other colored rugs on wet wall-to-wall carpets to cause staining.
- Don’t use your household vacuum cleaner to remove water, possibly causing electrical shock or damage to the vacuum cleaner.
- Don’t use TVs or other appliances while standing on wet carpets or floors, especially not on wet concrete floors.
- Don’t turn on ceiling fixtures is ceiling is wet or enter rooms where ceilings are sagging from retained water.
Water Damage From Contaminated Water
- Avoid all contact with sewage and items contaminated by sewage.
- Wash your hands thoroughly after contact with contaminated items.
- Don’t spread contaminated water by walking unnecessarily on damaged or wet areas.
- Don’t turn on HVAC system if there is a possibility of spreading contaminated air.
- Don’t use household fans to dry the structure and spread contaminants.
- Don’t use products for personal hygiene and cleanliness if exposed to the contaminated areas.
Spring Water Damage Prevention
Sub Pump Failure
We are all excited for spring and the sunny days of summer but there are potential of water damage to your home that can be avoided. If you take time to check the following possible maintenance issues you will lessen your change of a water damage to your home.
- Cleaning your gutters and making sure they are in good repair goes a long way in preventing water intrusion in your home.
- SERVPRO receives many calls each spring for water damages caused when outdoor spigots are turned on. If you had not turned off and drained your water supply to your outdoor spigots last winter, you could have a damage pipe due to the heavy freeze. When you turn your spigot on make sure there are no leaks. Turn it off immediately before you have any damage occurs and have you pipe repaired.
- Spring is a good time to inspect your roof. Ice damming is common in the winter months and this can damage your shingles, flashing, eves and overhangs.
- Check that your landscaping slopped away from your home. If it slopes towards your home, so will the water from the spring storms.
- Outdoor drains can get clogged with debris and leaves, make sure they are free of debris, so they are draining properly.
- Your sump pump will be working over time so make sure it is working properly. If it’s old, this would be a good time to replace it before it fails.
Enjoy the warm weather and if you do experience an unexpected water damage call SERVPRO of NE Columbus at 614-888-5700 we are here to help!
Has Monday Ever Welcomed You Like This?
Monday Morning River!
Ever Had a Day Like This?
If you have walked into your office or work and seen a disaster like this? Anxiety and overwhelming feelings immediately come to mind. One of the biggest questions is who do I call? What are the next steps? One of our customers experienced this recently on a Monday morning, and they knew exactly who to call. SERVPRO of Northeast Columbus is experienced in these situations.
SERVPRO Is Here to Help!
We are here to help you get things back in order! We specialize in things that you might categorize as your worst day and will get you back on track quickly. One call to us and we will start to reverse the horrible effects of a damaged water space just like this one. You care about getting back to work and getting things back to normal, and we want to be the ones to help and to get you back to “normal” as soon as possible.
You Are Not Alone!
So whatever problem you may be experiencing, we have helped hundreds of customers through this before. You are not alone. Our experienced experts will help you through every step of the process. We have teams that can jump into action, and make sure that your needs are taken care of, and you go back to your normal routine as quickly as possible.
Call to find out more! (614) 888-5700
Potential Devastation Water Can Cause
Frozen Sprinkler Head Causes Huge Mess
Water in a commercial building can be potentially devastating. It has many negative reactions that can happen including mold, mildew, and a horrible smell. This loss was a picture of a sprinkler that froze and released during our recent cold spell. It’s saturated in entire room and soaked into the walls which needed mediation services. This customer works with SERVPRO of Northeast Columbus and called us immediately to mitigate their issue. Our professionally trained crews quickly responded to extract water, and then set up equipment to reverse the damaging effects of the water that was released from the sprinkler line. Because of the customers quick and immediate reaction to this problem, we were able to fully restore the space for them quickly.
Contact SERVPRO of Northeast Columbus at 614-888-5700 if you experience a water damage.
Timing is Everything
Just a Little Trickle
Water can be devastating and very damaging to a commercial property or a residential home. This loss was from a commercial customer that discovered a defective bathroom facility and flooded the second floor. The tenant let the facilities manager know, and by the time they got on site, a slow overflowing trickle flooded an adjoining room with this much standing water. It was not anybody’s fault, and was not due to negligence, but very damaging and devastating. When the property manager called, SERVPRO of Northeast Columbus responded with a crew on site within an hour. The crew began extraction and set equipment to reverse water damage and take care of the issue. With water, as in any disaster, timing is critical. Having relationships in place and working with a professional remediation contractor makes things go quicker and smoother. Please reach out to us, if you have any questions about emergency services and prevention concerning your commercial property.
Water Damage Safety
Beware! Falling Ceiling
Should you have the unfortunate experience a water damage, safety should be your number one priority. There are many safety issues you need to be aware of to protect your family. Two of the most common safety issues are “slips and falls” and electrical hazards, however, there are others.
- If possible, turn off the water supply to minimize the water damage and safety concerns. Take caution when entering all rooms with wet flooring to prevent injuries from “slips and falls.”
- To prevent being shocked or electrocuted, do not enter a room with deep standing water that may be exposed to electricity.
- If the water is high enough to reach the electrical outlets, have an electrician inspect your wiring to prevent electrical shock.
- Have electrical appliances such as furnaces, freezer, washer and dryers dried and serviced by a qualified repairman if the water has reached their electrical unit.
- If you smell gas, turn off main valve and leave the area. Call the gas company immediately.
- Have gas appliances inspected by a qualified repairman if high water has reached their gas controls.
- Water damage on a second floor can compromise the ceiling below. If you see sagging ceilings do not enter the room.
- Sewer backups can present diseases and bacteria and should never be cleaned without personal protective equipment.
If you have a water damage call SERVPRO of Northeast Columbus at 614-888-5700 to assist.
Types of Flooring SERVPRO Encounters During Water Damages
Floor Drying System
SERVPRO encounters many types of flooring when servicing water damage losses. There are many variables that determine if the flooring can be saved. Since the arrival of laminate flooring in 1977 and the many new options and trends in flooring we are seeing less carpet.
The first factor in determining if SERVPRO can save your floor is if the water source is clean water or black water. Any water that is contaminated such as water from a drain back up, flooding or water damage that has sat for over three days is considered black water. In all these scenarios the flooring would be removed and disposed of.
If the water is clean and the incident has happened in the last several days, these are the determining factors in saving your floor:
- Carpet – Most times carpet can be saved. SERVPRO would extract the water and remove all of the wet pad. Dehumidifiers and air movers would be placed and monitored until the drying is complete. The pad would then be replaced, and the carpet would be re-installed and cleaned.
- Laminate Flooring – When water gets under laminate flooring, it will need removed and replaced with new flooring.
- Wood Floors – SERPVRO uses floor drying mats that can be successful in drying wood floors. The amount of water and the type of wood flooring is an important factor on saving a wood floor.
- Ceramic Tile – The determining factor for saving ceramic tile floors is what is under the floor. If the tile floor is laid over vinyl the floor cannot be saved.
Call SERVPRO of Northeast Columbus and we can assist you with your water loss and determine if your floor can be saved.
Causes and Types of Water Damages
Water Damage at Church
The moment you step on wet, soggy carpet your heart sinks knowing you have a water issue in your home. Water damages can cost homeowners both time and money to resolve. There can be many causes of water damage in your home from minor issues to major, costly problems. Water damage can start with a slow leak which takes months to notice to a broken pipe that results is massive amounts of water in a short time period.
No matter how your water loss happened, it is important to realize there are three categories for water which will determine how your loss will be remediated.
Clean Water – Is the least harmful form of damage and does not pose a threat to humans.
- Broken or leaking pipe
- Sink overflow
- Ice maker supply line
- Toilet supply line
Grey Water – Water will contain some microorganisms.
- Sink back up
- Sump pump
- Roof leak
- Leaking air conditioner
- Washing machines, dishwasher, water heaters
Black Water – This can be toxic and may contain bacterial diseases, chemicals, pesticides and microbes.
- Foundation problem
- Gutter problems
- Toilet Bowl overflow
- Sewer back-up
- Water damage that sat over 3 days
While you can not prevent all water damages, there are some precautions you can take to minimize your chances of a water loss as follows:
- Regular inspection and maintenance of your roof.
- Make sure your gutters are clean and installed properly.
- Address any foundation issues promptly. Yard should be sloped 6 inches over a 10-foot span away from your foundation.
- Test your sump pump twice a year by filling your sump pump pit with water to the float level. Make sure your sump pump turns on and the water level goes down.
- Have your air conditioner checked yearly.
- If you are leaving your home for an extended period, turn off your main water line and drain your pipes. This is most important in the winter months where your pipes could freeze if your home loses power.
- When you flush, make sure your toilet drains completely. If you do have an issue, turn the water supply line off and unclog your toilet.
- Inspect and replace worn pipe fittings and hose connections to household appliances once a year.
Call SERVPRO of Northeast Columbus if you have any questions regarding a water loss.
Immediate Steps to Take if Your Business Suffers From Water Damage
Call SERVPRO of NE Columbus at 614-888-5700
Immediate Steps to Take if Your Business Suffers From Water Damage
Let’s face it, water damage is threatening to your property’s value and can cause some serious, well damage. Whether you’re facing a storm; a flood; leaks from a weakened roof, HVAC or busted pipes; or experience overflowing appliances, water damage can wreak havoc in an array of emergency situations. To prevent further damage and to increase chances of salvation, it is critical to act quickly within the first 24 hours. Considering you have safely evacuated the premises and safety officials have declared it safe, follow these steps to immediately rectify your business from water damage.
Avoid Additional Risks
Upon returning to your property, survey the premises and document any visible structural damage that may further endanger you and your property. Look for signs of warping, loosened or cracked foundation elements, and holes. If safety officials haven’t done so already, contact utility companies to cease all water and electrical sources. Even if the power is still out upon your return, physically turn off the main power line and individual fuses to avoid risk of electrocution should the power be reactivated.
While surveying your property, take photos and document all damages. Digital photos will allow you to properly store, back-up and transfer files quickly and conveniently. Be sure to document all damages prior to removing any water or starting on any repairs; otherwise, you risk decreasing the extent of your insurance coverage.
Contact your Insurance Provider
Contacting your insurance provider is critical immediately following water damage and your return to the property. Your insurance provider will be able to assess the situation, file a claim, determine whether or not the damage is severe enough to send an adjuster, and provide invaluable next steps. They will also ask for the documentation you’ve collected so it’s important to have that readily available. Pro Tip: if government authorities have declared your region a ‘disaster area’, property owners may have access to increased resources, services and financial assistance.
Secure the Property
Place board over broken windows, fasten tarps, and carryout other measures to avoid further leaks and water damage. Be sure to document all of your efforts to secure your property from further damage. If these precautionary steps are not taken and something else happens, additional damages may not be covered by your insurance provider.
Mitigate Mold Damage
It only takes 24-48 hours for mold to develop following a flood or water damage. If items have been wet for less than 48 hours, they may be salvageable. Remove wet contents such as carpeting and furniture as soon as possible. If an item has been exposed longer than 48 hours, it may be harder and more expensive to salvage. If possible, you can start the drying out process within 24 hours and eliminate mold and mildew growth by:
- Removing wet furniture or lifting it off of carpet
- Place aluminum foil or other carpet separators on furniture to prevent carpet stains
- Remove and hang area rugs to dry
- Use fans and dehumidifiers to dry out wet areas
- Turn air conditioning on to help remove humidity and speed the drying process
Contact A Professional Restoration Service
If any amounts of water need more than a mop and you’ve followed the immediate steps to secure your business, water removal may require professional attention. Professional Restoration Services have the expertise, training and equipment to quickly remedy water damages and help your business get back to working order faster.
2017 SERVPRO Awards
2017 Customer Services Awards
2017 was a great year for SERVPRO of NE Columbus! Our SERVPRO team is proud of the recognition we received last year. We were honored to receive three distinguished awards for outstanding services in both our mitigation and repair divisions.
Our first award is the esteemed Nationwide Blue Hammer award. This award is given for being the top contractor in a five-state territory. The factors for consideration of this award are customer service, time in progress, performance objective monitoring and the number of jobs assigned.
The second award was presented by Contractor Connection for being the top mitigation company in the Eastern Great Lakes division.
Lastly, we received The SERVPRO Heritage Gold Award from SERVPRO® Restoration Services. This award was given as recognition for being one of the top 25 franchises out of over 1700 franchises in the country. The Heritage Gold Award is based on sales volume and excellence in service.
SERVPRO of NE Columbus strives to provide a superior level of service for our customers, offering emergency response 24 hours a days 7 day a week. We use technology developed over the years to provide electronic job files. We are a proud to be a preferred vendor for many national and local insurance companies. We handle any size job and offer services for both residential and commercial work.
We are grateful for our exceptional SERVPRO team and believe that these awards show our commitment to providing our customers in Central Ohio extraordinary service.
We will continue to strive to provide exceptional service and commitment to our clients / customers.
Falling Temperatures Can Cause Frozen Pipes
Ohio’s Deep Freeze Caused this Frozen Pipe Break
As the new year begins with a blast of extreme cold we want to protect our homes from damage caused by frozen pipes. When water freezes it expands and can break your pipes causing flooding throughout your home. The structure damage from this type of loss can be extensive. The cause of most frozen pipe issues falls into one of three categories: Low temperatures, insufficient insulation or lack of heat.
Low Temperatures – As we welcome in 2018 many states are experiencing temperatures below 0 degrees. The low temperatures along with windy conditions are always a concern for frozen pipes. Check your home for any area that could be an issue. Unheated areas such as basements, crawl spaces, attics and garages are prime areas of concern. There are products on the market to wrap exposed pipes to help eliminate the issue. Follow all manufactures instructions for safe use of these products.
Insufficient Insulation – Even a small space can let cold air into your home. Examine all areas and seal any space where cold air could enter your home. Adding additional insulation where necessary.
Lack of Heat – Make sure you keep your heat on and raise the temperatures during these times of extreme cold. It is also important to protect your home if you are leaving for a weekend or longer. Have a friend or relative check on your home daily to make sure your heat is on and there are no issues with frozen pipes. It can also be effective to open cabinets to allow warmer air to reach the pipes.
What you can do if you do have a frozen pipe
- Shut off the water main supply line
- Apply heat to the frozen pipe in attempt to thaw the frozen pipe. You could use a hair dryer, space heater or hot water.
- Once the pipe has thawed, slowly turn on the water supply. Check the area of the frozen pipe to make sure there are no leaks.
- If you do see any leaking, turn the water supply off and call your local plumber.
Should you experience a water damage caused by frozen pipes call SERVPRO of NE Columbus at 614-888-5700 and we will make it “Like it never even happened."
Upper Arlington Residents: We Specialize in Flooded Basement Cleanup and Restoration!
This Upper Arlington home’s basement flooded due to heavy rains.
A basement can flood at any time, although flooding most often occurs during heavy rainfall. Basements are inherently prone to flooding because they are the lowest level of a building and are normally built partly or entirely below ground level. There are a number of reasons why your Upper Arlington basement could flood, including: A blocked or failed sewer lateral pipeHeavy rain causes surface water to pool around your homeStorm sewer backupSanitary sewer backupFoundation drainage failureWater supply-line break or hot-water tank failureAnd many more
Have Questions about Basement Flooding?
Call Today -614-261-6666
If flood water is not handled quickly and properly, it can jeopardize your health and safety, and cause severe damage to your home’s structure. Remember, the longer you wait, the worse the problem will get.
The bottom line: a flooded basement can jeopardize your health, safety, and your home’s integrity. It’s worth making a call to SERVPRO of Upper Arlington and let our trained, professional crews handle the situation safely and correctly. We have earned the trust of hundreds of homeowners, business owners, and property professionals.
We are Flooded Basement Specialists:We are Available 24 hours/7 days per weekWe’re a Preferred Vendor to many National Insurance CompaniesWe Bill The Insurance Directly – One Less Thing For You To Worry AboutOur Technicians are Highly-Trained in Water Restoration TechniquesWe use s500 IICRC Restoration StandardsAdvanced Inspection and Extraction Equipment
Basement Flooded? Call Us Today – We’re Ready To Help 614-261-6666
Faster to your Westerville Water Damage Event
SERVPRO of NE Columbus provides 24 hour fire and water damage restoration service in Westerville
Flooding and water emergencies don’t wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO of NE Columbus provides emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays.
Faster To Any Size Disaster
Flooding and water damage is very invasive. Water quickly spreads throughout your home and gets absorbed into floors, walls, furniture, and more. SERVPRO of NE Columbus arrives quickly and starts the water extraction process almost immediately. This immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 – 614-888-5700
Water Damage Timeline
Within MinutesWater quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:Drywall begins to swell and break down.Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.Furniture begins to swell and crack.Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:Mold and mildew may grow and spread.Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.Metal begins to rust and corrode.Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.Paint begins to blister.Wood flooring swells and warps.Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
About SERVPRO of NE Columbus
SERVPRO of NE Columbus specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Northeast Columbus 24 Hour Emergency Water Damage Services
SERVPRO of [Northeast Columbus provides 24 hour fire and water damage restoration service in Westerville, New Albany & Gahanna.
SERVPRO of Northeast Columbus is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help
Call Today - 614-888-5700
We understand that when you call us, you may be feeling confused, stressed, and vulnerable. You need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO of Northeast Columbus has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time. We specialize in water damage restoration—in fact, it's the cornerstone of our business.
What to Expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals may be needed.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:Your name and contact informationYour insurance information (if applicable)The street address of the water-damaged home or businessWhen did the flooding or water damage occur?What caused the water damage (if known)?Is there electricity available (on-site)?
About SERVPRO of Northeast Columbus
SERVPRO of Northeast Columbus specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.