Spring Water Damage Prevention
We are all excited for spring and the sunny days of summer but there are potential of water damage to your home that can be avoided. If you take time to check the following possible maintenance issues you will lessen your change of a water damage to your home.
- Cleaning your gutters and making sure they are in good repair goes a long way in preventing water intrusion in your home.
- SERVPRO receives many calls each spring for water damages caused when outdoor spigots are turned on. If you had not turned off and drained your water supply to your outdoor spigots last winter, you could have a damage pipe due to the heavy freeze. When you turn your spigot on make sure there are no leaks. Turn it off immediately before you have any damage occurs and have you pipe repaired.
- Spring is a good time to inspect your roof. Ice damming is common in the winter months and this can damage your shingles, flashing, eves and overhangs.
- Check that your landscaping slopped away from your home. If it slopes towards your home, so will the water from the spring storms.
- Outdoor drains can get clogged with debris and leaves, make sure they are free of debris, so they are draining properly.
- Your sump pump will be working over time so make sure it is working properly. If it’s old, this would be a good time to replace it before it fails.
Enjoy the warm weather and if you do experience an unexpected water damage call SERVPRO of NE Columbus at 614-888-5700 we are here to help!