Recent Mold Remediation Posts
Why do I Have Mold in My Home?
Mold is a fact of life, it can be found everywhere. Mold requires several conditions before it can grow. According to Ecolife, “Molds reproduce by means of tiny spores: the spores are invisible to the naked eye and are able to float through outdoor and indoor air. Mold may begin growing indoors when spores land on moist surfaces and find food. “Food” means virtually any organic substance, such as wood, paper, carpet, human food, and insulation.” If you discover a mold issue in your home, you have a moisture problem.
Check your home for the following possible issues:
- Roof leaks – Keep your roof in good repair and check your attic several times a year for moisture.
- Humidity – Hot humid summer day and rainy weather both can cause mold issues.
- Poor ventilation – Enclosed spaces in your home can be areas of poor ventilation. Make sure these areas have proper ventilation.
- Plumbing problems – Common plumbing problems that go unnoticed can also cause mold. Pipe leaks, toilet seals, ice maker hoses, etc. Check these areas often and correct any problems immediately.
- Flooding - If your home is affected by heavy rains, call a professional to properly dry the affected area.
- Foundation Problem – The soil around your home should always be sloped away from your home to prevent water from entering your basement.
If you have a mold issue or have questions regarding mold in your home call SERVPRO of Northeast Columbus and we can send a professional estimator to assist.
Shower Damaged Caulking and Grout Caused Water & Mold Damage
As your tiled shower ages, it is important to keep your caulking and grout in good repair. Water and mold damage is caused by deteriorating or missing caulking and grout which causes water to seep underneath the surface damaging your shower walls over time. Between 1965 and 1990 drywall was used behind tile and when it gets wet it expands and swells causing the grout to crack. In recent years they have started using cement board that do not swell when moist and can be treated with a waterproofing. This makes your shower less likely to have major water issues, but it is still important to check your caulking and grout regularly, making repairs immediately to prevent a costly project.
SERVPRO was contacted for a water damage in this home. After examining the area and performing a moisture check, it was discovered that the walls were wet due to damaged and missing grout.
Our professionally trained production crew removed all the damaged tile and drywall in this shower and the remaining structure was cleaned and treated for mold.
If you think you have a moisture problem in your shower contact SERVPRO at 614-888-5700
The Myths About Mold
Mold Growth on Drywall
When it comes to mold, there are many misconceptions that leave homeowners confused and misinformed. Just by mentioning the word “mold” causes people to panic. Although mold can be a very serious problem and should always be taken seriously, it is critical to have all the correct facts, so you can make knowledgeable decisions when necessary.
- “Bleach kills mold”
- Bleach is able to kill certain types of mold on nonporous surfaces, but it is uncertain on whether or not it can kill all types of mold on every surface. Most of the retail products out there only discolor the mold and are not suggested for porous surfaces for example, drywall, carpet, ceiling tiles and wood.
- “Mold is only found in homes with water damage”
It is true that mold generally forms in any areas that have problems of water seepage or flooding but unfortunately all homes could potentially wind up with having a mold problem. Molds and mildews are present both indoors and outdoors, and when mold spores land on a surface that contains moisture, that mold can begin to grow.
- “You don’t have to remove mold if you kill it”
- Even if you are able to kill the mold, there are allergens that live in mold that are still active. These allergens can even become airborne even if the mold is dead. Mold can also go dormant until conditions in the environment are optimal for regrowth. To protect yourself and your home, it is necessary to remove the affected area and remove the items that contain mold. You need to be cautious not to spread the mold spores to unaffected areas. Professionals, like us, are properly trained to handle mold allergens without further contaminating your home.
- “A small amount of mold is nothing to worry about”
- A small amount of visible mold in your home may just be the tip of the iceberg. Chances are it has been growing for some time now and requires a certified mold inspector to further inspect the situation.
- “Mold Remediation is easy to do on your own”
That is not always the case. When it comes to small areas of mold, it can be handled easily. But when the problem becomes pervasive, it is best to call the professionals. SERVPRO is always “Here To Help!”
Grove City Mold Remediation
Mold Damage in Grove City
SERVPRO of Northeast Columbus offers mold remediation services. Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today 614-888-5700
What is That Strange Odor?
Call SERVPRO with Your Odor Problem!
SERVPRO is best known for fire, water and mold remediation, but did you know SERVPRO also specializes in odor removal? Our professionally trained team are experts at deodorization. The source of the odor is varied and the difficulty in eradicating the problem is unique.
Here are the top four phone calls SERVPRO of NE Columbus receives regarding odor issues:
- Pet Odor
- Wild Animal
Pet Odor – This is probably the most common phone call we receive regarding odor. New puppies, elderly dog, cats and sick animals can create many odors SERVPRO can handle.
Wild Animals – Each spring we receive several calls from fanatic customers who left their dog out early in the morning only to be sprayed by a skunk. Their dog runs into their home and rolls over the sofa and carpet trying to rid themselves of the odor. Raccoons and bats have a tendency of seeking shelter in attics, which often results in a vile and poor smelling environment.
Smoke – Realtors frequently advise smokers selling their homes to have the cigarette odor eliminated before the homes goes on the market. Cooking mishaps can also cause a lingering smell which SERVPRO can get rid of.
Mildew – There can be many causes of a mildew odors, all start with moisture.
Along with eliminating the source of the odor SERVPRO successfully uses a green technology unit call a Hydroxyl. This is a safe and highly effective compound that cleans, sanitizes and freshens the air.
SERVPRO is here to help! Call SERVPRO of NE Columbus at 614-888-5700 for an estimate to eliminate that strange odor.
Mold Could be Lurking in Your Home from Your Recent Frozen Pipe Break
Beware of Mold Lurking in Your Home
Central Ohio has experienced two weeks of frigid temperatures and SERVPRO has received countless water damage claims resulting from frozen pipes. If you have experience a broken pipe and did not get a professional company to remediate your water loss, please consider the dangers of mold. Mold spores thrive on moisture and can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water.
Here are some signs of mold to look for:
- Mildew smell
- Visual mold on walls or ceilings
- High humidity
- Wood warping
- Paint Peeling
- Respiratory heath issues
Remediation includes both the identification and correction of the conditions that permit mold growth, as well as the steps to safely and effectively remove mold damaged materials. Discovering the moisture source and resolving the issue will always be the first step in determining a plan of action. If the mold is excessive, the expertise of a qualified Indoor Air Quality/Environmental Professional can evaluate the quality of the air inside your home.
Although mold is a part of our outdoor and indoor atmosphere, high levels or certain types of mold are harmful to humans.
There are groups of people who are most at risk when exposed to mold:
- Infants and children
- Pregnant woman
- The elderly
- People with compromised respiratory systems or asthma and allergies
- People with weakened immune systems
Don’t let it grow! If you are experiencing any signs of mold, please contact SERVPRO of NE Columbus at 614-888-5700 and we will send one of our experienced estimators to help!