Kitchen Fire in Southwest Columbus Area
There are many fires that start in the kitchen from various reasons. The fire in this kitchen affected the entire home. During the restoration of this home the customer asked for additional remodeling work. SERVPRO removed the wall between the living room area and kitchen and built this island. Our customer loves the open floor plan this created.
The American Red Cross has these 10 steps to avoid a cooking fire:
- Never leave cooking food unattended- stay in the kitchen when frying grilling or broiling food.
- Check your food regularly while cooking
- Use a timer so you’ll remember that the stove or oven is on.
- Don’t wear loose clothing or dangling sleeves while cooking.
- Keep children away from the cooking area
- Keep anything that can catch fire away from the stove, oven or any appliance in the kitchen that generates heat.
- Clean cooking surface on a regular basis to prevent grease buildup.
- Consider purchasing a fire extinguisher to keep in your kitchen.
- Always check the kitchen before going to bed or leaving the home to make sure all stoves, ovens and small appliances are turned off.
- Install a smoke alarm near your kitchen and check the batteries at least one a year.
Our experience SERVPRO team are here to help if you do have a cooking mishap. Call us at 614-888-5700.